Hillsdale Ave Renovation
740 Hillsdale Avenue in Akron, OH was the first 2021 renovation for Dregalla Development LLC. With holes in the walls and ceilings of nearly every room, it was quite an undertaking to start off the year. The kitchen was quite small so we had to utilize additional space which required beaming between two two rooms in order to make them one flowing kitchen. We also built a bathroom on the third floor creating a large master bedroom with an ensuite thus transforming a 3 BR 1 1/2 Bath to a 4 BR 2 1/2 Bath home, creating a lot of value for the property.
This is the exterior 740 Hillsdale Ave, Akron, OH when we bought it. This house required a lot of renovation - too many holes in the walls and ceilings to count! But it had good bones and we knew it would be a great opening project for 2021!
For some reason the front entry had been gutted by the previous owner. Frankly, it actually made it easier for us since we didn't have to gut it ourselves!
Like much of the house there were holes and cracks in the walls that needed to be repaired and the hardwood floors were discolored and badly scuffed up.
The kitchen "area" was clearly very dated and did not utilize the overall space very well. There was clearly not a lot of room for appliances, much less countertops.
You can see the expansion of the space on the left of the picture above. Below you will see how we utilized the space to the left (out of picture) to nearly double the size of the kitchen!
This space was originally an entry way from the back door to pass through before entering the kitchen. We felt this was a waste of space so we incorporated it into the kitchen essentially doubling the size of the kitchen.
Utilizing this space added significant cabinet and counter space while also creating a cooking area away from the sink.
We had a vision of creating an impressive master ensuite with two closets and a full bathroom (see below).
This room was opposite what became the master bedroom. So you can see that we started with nothing but a vision.
It took a lot of work and managing through several unexpected surprises, but it came together very well in the end.
A couple of the 2nd floor bedrooms required significant repairs and rebuild. Yes, this is what it looked like when we bought it!